Job shadow / Doctors for a day!



On February 3rd 2017 I attended Doctors for the day as my Job shadow because of patient confidentiality it was hard to find a hospital or clinic to job shadow at, Doctor for a day was perfect because I got to spend the whole day with different types of physicians like physical therapy, prosthetic and orthopedics, occupational therapy. I got to see how it was like to go into those career for a day and made me want to go into a healthcare career more.

when I first arrived we had a little photoshoot where they had us put on a lab coat and a stethoscope so we could look/feel the part of a Doctor. after we took our pictures we went to different stations they had set up. first station they showed us how to administer physical exams, measure blood pressure and take vital signs.

My second station was Intubation simulation dummy I found it the most fun because we lean how to use a tracheal tube(breathing tube) to intubate on a dummy like if was a real person that was having trouble breathing. I got the Tracheal tube down it’s throw and air to the dummy’s lugs on my first try.
My third station was prosthetics, they had different models of prosthetics for people that didn't have an arm or a leg there where old style and more modern look and we able try on and see how they felt like it was interesting to learn how they function you had to move certain muscles to make the prosthetic function.

My final station was the most fascinating/nerve racking because they had real human organs like, hearts,livers, kidneys, spine cores, full brains of someone that had donated their organs to science after they passed away for respect to those who donated I was not able to take pictures. They had the organs set on tables and we were able to touch and hold them. The brain and the heart where the first things that caught my eye it was amazing to hold apart of someone that was once a living person.

Overall my experience at Doctors for a day was amazing and would recommend it to anyone that was interested in the medical field .


Comments

  1. I love how you explained clearly your experience as a doctor for a day. almost made me feel like I was there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

CPR 101